On Thursday, November 6, 2014 3:35:28 AM UTC-5, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Alright. I "fixed" my problem by editing PyPlot.jl to make it look for :qt
> before :gtk under Linux. But this is not ideal because it will revert back
> next time I upgrade PyPlot. So a more permanent solution is preferable.

The ideal thing would be to fix
   https://github.com/stevengj/PyPlot.jl/issues/87
so that you can use the same setting to change the default backend in both
Python and Julia.

(Should be possible to support the Tk backend too.)

> It wouldn't be the first time that PyPlot improves on the Matplotlib API.
> One of the things I like about PyPlot is that I feel it gives me the simple
> API that Matplotlib should have given me but didn't. Just my $0.02

Fair enough; in general, I have found Matplotlib to be frustratingly
inconsistent about treatment of row vs. column vectors, especially in the
contour/pcolor/3d plots.  Could you file an issue?