On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 4:15:42 PM UTC-5, David Smith wrote:

> My biggest wish-list item (as a medical imager) would be native Julia
> plotting that is similar to Matplotlib.  I'd rather not have to require
> that people have Python alongside Julia.  Makes Julia sound less mature.

Julia *is* significantly less mature than Python, and for the next several
years (at least!) there will undoubtedly be lots of major functionality
that is available in Python but not in pure Julia.  Fortunately, pretty
much all of this functionality is accessible via PyCall.

As a result, I pretty much always strongly recommend that people using
Julia also have a decent Python/SciPy installation (I recommend Anaconda on
Windows and Mac).   This is also needed if you want to use IJulia.

I don't think we should be any more ashamed of calling Python for things
like plotting than we are ashamed of calling C and Fortran code for linear
algebra or Bessel functions.

--SGJ