First off, good point, and thank you for PyPlot and PyCall.  I use these
packages a ton.

But loading PyPlot is by far the slowest part of my code currently.  Maybe
that will go away with module caching?  I was, perhaps incorrectly,
thinking it was slow because it was Python.

Also passing stuff to Python is not always trivial.  I wasn't able to
successfully plot masked arrays using PyPlot, for example.  I'm sure it can
be done, but it was too complicated for me to figure out for too little
gain.