I think we need more languages if only because I think we've barely started
to explore the programming language design space – it's a very non-convex
optimization problem. Sure, some languages are close to local optima, but
you never know what's going to happen when you start combining things in
new ways and find yourself in a totally new part of the space. Clojure, Go,
Rust, Ceylon, Scala, Swift and lots of others are trying really new and
innovative things, some of which are working out really nicely. People need
to try these things if we're going have better tools.