I just read through all of that very interesting thread on exceptions... it
seems that Stefan was trying to reinvent the wheel, without knowing it.

Everybody interested in exception handling should go look up CLU... Julia
seems to have gotten a lot of ideas from CLU (possibly rather indirectly,
through C++, Java, Lua...).
CLU had this well handled 40 years ago ;-)

Scott