When evaluating a library on Github or similar, I usually look at the following:

1. are there many open issues? How old are they?

2. are there recent commits?

3. is there a reasonable README file with examples etc?

4. are there unit tests (when applicable?)

While these are imperfect proxies for the quality/maturity of the library, they can be used to form a reasonable first impression before investing more time.

Best,

Tamas