Actually, Jason, the book went through intense peer review repeatedly for
over a year before it hit the shelves. Horst Simon, the series editor,
vetted the manuscript and made sure William Kahan saw it as well. Kahan,
the guy behind the IEEE 754 Standard for floats and a Turing Award
recipient, was surprisingly unable to punch holes in it the way he has
always torn down proposed alternatives to existing floats. David Bailey and
John Runnels were two of the formal referees, and another referee preferred
to remain anonymous. If you look at the Acknowledgments section in the
prefatory material, you can see a list of all the people who pored over the
material and made sure it was sound. No one has found any *conceptual* errors
yet, though there are some minor Errata and they are posted on the CRC
Press site for the book. There was also one minor typo in a subscript in
the Mathematica notebook, now corrected, but other than that no one has
found any bugs in it. Jack Dongarra, Gordon Bell, and Ulrich Kulisch
(interval arithmetic expert and inventor of the exact dot product
accumulator) also gave it a thumbs-up.

I knew I was going out on a limb with this idea, so I sought out the
harshest critics I could find and made sure it could pass their tests
before going to press.

That said, I agree with the "grain of salt" comment, because the
Mathematica notebook is too slow to try unum math out on *really* large
problems. It may turn out that the ubox method becomes intractable even
though the number of uboxes expands linearly instead of exponentially, and
that will mean using unums as float-imitators to get things to run. What we
need now is a much faster implementation. Which is exactly why putting
unums in Julia is such a great idea!