On Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 7:39:02 AM UTC-4, mschauer wrote:

> Just a remark about
> >This line doesn't make sense in languages where *everything* has a
> gender: "While 'Julia' is a female name in many parts of the world, the
> programming language is not a person and does not have a gender."
> I think that is just not true, for example the direct translation "Auch
> wenn "Julia" in vielen Teilen der Welt ein weiblicher Name ist,  ist die
> Programmiersprache julia keine Person und hat kein Geschlecht" will not be
> understood as making a statement about lack grammatical gender.

German isn't one of the languages where everything must have either a male
or female grammatical gender, it does have a neuter "gender" like English.
I was thinking about the Romance languages, and even more so the Semitic
languages (such as Hebrew and Arabic) where even the verbs are conjugated
according to male/female.
I think English has a great advantage over many other languages, when it
comes to being able to express oneself in gender neutral ways.