@Simon
GLVisualize looks great! I ll try using it as soon as there
is an opportunity. (and then bother you with questions.. ;) )

@kleinsplash
Not sure if those meshing libraries are the right place to put my stuff.

I didnt even know about all these packages until I posted my answer
here. I will get rid of my custom mesh loading prcedures and start
using whats already available.

On a somewhat related note. I do have an Octree implementation
in Julia which I use for meshing/partitioning of 3D domains, maybe
that could be interesting for someone?
It generates an octree around triangulated surface meshes.
E.g. here
https://github.com/abieler/dsmc/blob/master/doc/cow_mesh2.png

If there is interest I d be happy to share/clean up my code.