I don't know anything about your problem domain, but are you sure that
the errors are not a conditioning problem? Increasing precision can
mitigate this to a limited extent, but when you increase the dimension
you quickly run out of precision, so it is rarely the solution. Have you
checked the singular values of A? (Sorry if you already did this as the
first thing, just thought I would ask).