Yep, I'd agree.  And for something so core to the application, I think
it's really important to preserve the 100% Java aspect, with all the
benefits of platform-independence that it brings.

Plus all that JNI hacking - brrrrrr!

Format transformation is less core to the architecture, so it doesn't
seem unreasonable to look to GDAL to provide formats which are
required.  Perhaps this could be done by simply making OS external
process calls, rather than in-process bindings to the library?

Sunburned Surveyor wrote:
> Larry,
>
> I don't know much about GDAL, but I'm thinking it will be a lot easier
> to add deegree or GeoTidy/GeoTools CRS support to OJ.
>
> SS
>
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Larry Becker <becker.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This post is continuing the debate/discussion about adding OJ projection
>> support, and other interesting things that GDAL provides.
>>
>> I've noticed that Even Rouault has been giving the GDAL Java bindings quite
>> a workout lately.
>>
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/swig/java/apps/
>>
>> Does this development indicate that it may no longer be quite so difficult
>> to add GDAL support to JUMP?
>>
>> regards,
>> Larry
>> --