Hi Jukka,

>Conversion to gml and reading that instead of shapefiles would be better
choise sometimes...

I agree, but it doesn't sound like GML is compatible between the two
programs:  http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_gml.html

BTW, here is a link to all of the supported formats.  I'm not sure how many
of the optional ones are compiled into FWTools, which is the only practical
way of getting binaries. http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html

Larry