Hi Andreas,
> I've noticed that (for quite some time now) newly loaded feature
> collections/layers are now considered modified by default. I've been
> using that check in the WFS plugin to enable the update button only if
> the layer is actually modified. I've added a workaround to set the layer
> unmodified immediately after loading.

Sorry for the inconvenience
> I've also found the place where layers are set to modified after loading
> (in the Layer class, with a comment from Michaël, that's why I'm
> addressing you directly ;-)). I'm not entirely sure why it is done like
> this. Was your intention to have a 'do you really want to close OJ'
> message when closing? If so, I'd like to propose to have a check when
> closing, and show a different message if no layers have been modified,
> asking just that, and only show the modified warning if something has
> actually been modified. I find it confusing for the users to have a
> warning like this, when he did actually not modify anything...

You probably are right, as it may be important to make the difference
between a newly created layer and a modified layer.
I'll try to make my problem clearer as I'm not sure to get the solution yet.

Some layers are issued from a persistent datasource, and others have
been created by the application (ex. a buffer layer).
How to inform the user  who closes the application that some newly
created layers are unsaved to disk (some of my co-workers complained
they lost their work without any warning)
Maybe I missed something simple with the Layer.getDataSourceQuery method.
I'll try to explore this method (probably after my vacations).

Feel free to get back to the previous state of Layer class if needed.
I'm quite confident another way can be found to solve my problem

regards,

Michaël