On 22.04.2012 23:09, Michaël Michaud wrote:
>>> In principle we should change both, the loading and the content of the
>>> readme.txt!
>>> 1. There are too many unimportant and not (end)user suitable informations.
>> could you name one? some of it might not be needed on a day to day basis but
>> essentially all of it is enduser information.
> Agree with Matthias on this point (also agreed with Ede for "one place
> to maintain
> all the infos").
> Hmm embarassing.

classic dilemma

> The about panel mixes nice looking logo + software version on the top,
> with rough text area containing unreadable license information (sorry Ede,
> information is important, just unreadable for most normal people ;-).

you click-surface-gui people. everytime you come across more than two lines in
a serif font it becomes unreadable ;)
btw, i used the font because it guarantees a fixed width per character and
hence allows the "layout" to persist.

> Most information is formal but useless at this point (how to start the
> application) and it does not always fit well the software version (PLUS
> vs CORE).

it's the one place issue again, all or nothing. remember, readme used to be
only in the distro and i added it there so "lazy gui" people could stumble over
it.

> I have two suggestions to improve it (but it has a very low priority for
> me) :
> - let only the logo + version + general license (+ date ?) in the about
> panel

that ius more or less the case already as the default size for the about dialog
presents only the readme header initially. user can voluntarily resize the
dialog to see more.

>    and add a button to call explicitly the readme file which will be
> opened in its
>    own window

this would be equal to removing readme from the gui again. nobody would
actually push the button and having it open in a new window/text editor would
simply make it a less seamless user experience.

> - html-ize the readme file (so that it can be beautified) and put it in
> its own tab

would have to be done/maintained manually *and* the text file would become
useless.

> What do you think ?
>>
>>> 2. I prefer translated text's within the language directory.
>> i would to if there were people maintaining these when the infos change.
> I think that having them in the jar is not user-friendly for
> non-programmers doing translations
> BUT, it encourages people to contribute their translation to the project.
> Just my feeling,

i actually see no solution here, because we lack already behind on translations
for the gui and frankly i would not want to maintain readme files for each and
every language. we could translate chapter names and such dynamically during
display/release, but i doubt that is worth our precious and scarce efforts.

..ede