Hi Larry,
OK, I've located the problem that was causing the NPE. The MRSID executables now depend on the geos.dll (C++ port of the Java Topology Suite) which must be located in the same directory. MRSID files now work fine, although not as well as in SkyJUMP. ;-) (SkyJUMP has added a simple plugin called EditMrSID which allows adjustment of dynamic range and transparancy.) I can't see a reason to keep the SIDLayer class. Does anyone else?
Thanks a lot,

I hadn't even caught that SIDLayer was deprecated in favour of MrSIDReferencedImage. Probably the reason why Stefan removed some references to SID Layers in WMSLayer code.

SIDLayer has probably to be removed then.