Hi,
>>> servers usually announce the character set they answer with.. do you check
>>> the response headers?
>>> there is a nifty firefox plugin called "live http headers" btw.
>>> Not sure if the character set I need is in the http response header or
>>> in the xml declaration.
>>> I would have say in the xml, but I haven't search for it yet.
>> hmm. should be at least in the header. how are you supposed to know how to
>> interpret the bytestream if you do not know the encoding ;)
>> if you sent me a problematic url.. i'll tell you what the header says.
In the adress given by Uwe, for example, last layer name is not parsed
correctly, but I could not find a way
to get a valid answer in the browser if I pass Uwe's url +
"SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetCapabilities"
> Situation with WMS servers is unfortunately not very good and they do not all
> behave in a similar way. Right now I could check only Mapserver 6.0 with the
> Finnish default Windows settings.  Headers say
>
> For both versions the XML document starts as
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding="ISO-8859-1"
In this case, I suppose that parsing the xml document as ISO-8859-1 should
do the trick.
have to check if DOMParser can be configured to be encoding aware.

Michaël