Am 2020-07-08 20:45, schrieb Jack:
On 2020.07.08 14:20, Ben Cooksley wrote:
On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 6:09 AM Christoph Cullmann
<christ...@cullmann.io> wrote:

> On 2020-07-08 18:12, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > Recently we've noticed some KDE apps ending up on the Microsoft
Store
> > uploaded by unknown third parties.  Maybe to up some credit score
for
> > their developer account.  Maybe to install bitcoin  miners.  We
don't
> > know the motivations.  Since it's all free software the licence
allows
> > it.
>
> Hi,
>
> have you some links to these applications?

I believe Jonathan will be referring to
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/kdiff-3-diff-utility/9ndvvx243rfh?activetab=pivot:overviewtab#
If I follow that link, and click for the US version, I see KDiff3 for
sale at $4.99.  Does the license actually allow charging?  (I wonder
how that is split between MS and the uploader.)

GPLv3 Section 6 d
"Convey the object code by offering access from a designated place (gratis or for a charge), and offer equivalent access to the Corresponding Source in the same way through the same place at no further charge. "

So yes, charging is fine, not providing the source code looks to me like a GPL violation. And I think that puts the ball to KDE e.V. board to contact Microsoft.

Cheers
Martin