Le Vendredi 30 de septembre 2011 11:56:55 Sven Burmeister a écrit :
> Ok, so if a user reports a bug and gets no answer for weeks, what should he
> do? Keep posting to the bug every few weeks, blog about it, private email to
> the dev, ask on IRC (which would not be much different than a mailinglist),
> post to the forums? If that makes no sense to start not caring about the
> bug. Not a good choice, is it?
>
> How is a user supposed to bring a bug to the devs' attention? Not at all?
> Just wait and see? How is that going to improve things? How is that going
> to add information to "low quality" bug reports?

I see it this way : a user shouldn't bring a specific bug to attention, but
help the people involved work their way through existing reports through to
your "pet" bug. This is, after all, a volunteer driven community project.
As a regular user, you could help triaging the bugs for the product you have
an issue with to help the overwhelmed developer work through to your bug.
Simply identifying duplicates would be a great help (and I know from
experience that if you post a comment "possible duplicate", the reaction is
quite fast). Just a quick statistic :
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?query_format�vanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=nepomuk&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=grave&bug_severity=major&bug_severity=crash&bug_severity=normal&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom

11-09-17&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Importance&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0167
 bugs, see all the duplicates?

> Votes don't change anything either, so they are not useful in order to bring
> attention to some bug. Lydia pointed out to find the "unloved" – and then
> do what if you are not supposed to name them in some place devs read?

If everyone did this, this mailing list would be overwhelmed by users trying
to get some attention to their bug, and devs would move their discussions
elsewhere. Then the whole process would start anew. Not a solution.
Blogging about an issue : do you really want to give KDE bad publicity?
PMing a dev : the 3 minutes he needs to answer you might  have been used to fix
your bug. Plus if he doesn't answer, you get even more frustrated.
Post in the forums : if you phrase it carefully (not agressively) it actually
might help... Imagine an (future) amateur coder looking around for something
to do stumbling upon it, and realizing that it annoys him [1] decides to fix
it. Of course, this is still subject to the same issues as posting to the
mailing list (quantity). (Maybe a KDE-specific papercut section, something like
ubuntu did/does?. Not Junior jobs, but minor GUI/functionality annoyances)

> And as I pointed out already before, it's not like only "low quality" bug
> reports get no attention. Some people even add videos and test patches but
> still get no feedback. I think it is absolutely understandable that they get
> frustrated, as it is understandable that devs get frustrated about
> aggressive reporters.

If you are a coder (even a beginner coder) You could improve upon those
patches and submit them on reviewboard, where they would get proper attention.
Bugzilla simply isn't the correct place to post patches, if only due to the
overwhelming traffic there. However, please do keep in mind that in most cases,
you (as submitter) will be asked to improve/modify a submitted patch, so going
through bugzilla collecting and submitting patches won't work either, you'd
need to devote some time, energy and learning skills to it.

> > Even if you word it carefully, essentially your message is still saying
> > that a trivial to triage bug doesn't get the attention you think it
> > should get. That, however, is true for many bugs, sending reminders
> > about them to mailinglists is no solution, since it doesn't scale, nor
> > does it give any useful prioritization to developers.
> >
> > FWIW, I tend to other bugs, when I encounter this behaviour.
>
> If you would take a more positive approach to people who care enough to
> bring some bug they noticed for days/weeks to the devs attention (in a
> sensible wording of course!), then the latter is simply an opportunity for
> a wider community than devs reading bug reports to help the reporter gather
> more information to improve the report. Even posting a link to some wiki
> with examples of useful reports and a list of things to add/check would be
> more useful than ignoring a report for weeks and it would prevent
> frustration on both sides.

The thing is, KDE is very customizable, and most people have different
workflows. Thus a bug annoying one person may well go unnoticed on thousands of
setups, and be only a minor nuisance [1] on thousands of others. major bugs
hindering normal funtion are closed quite fast.
I however do agree with you that some feedback on a bug report (even a bad
one) would certainly be better PR.

Cheers,

Martin