Hi Ignacio,

On Tuesday, 2013-12-17, 17:55:53, Ignacio Serantes wrote:
> Hi Lindsay,
>
> You are right, a higher layer will be needed and this is not a Baloo job
> but if you want to build a layer like this Baloo must run as a service and
> not as a KDE user level.
>
> From my point of view running Nepomuk at user level was a mistake and I
> would like Baloo don't do the same mistake because I can't share my actual
> information with my computers and devices and, again as my point of view,
> this is old computing.

Maybe you could elaborate how a system service would facilitate this kind of
sharing while a session service does not.

I can see how it makes it easier to share the data with other users on the
same machine, but as far as I can tell it does not make any difference as far
as other machines are concerned.

> Obviously this was my petitions :), I'm not interested at all in Akonadi,
> is old computing too for people who works in only one computer, and I can't
> share my Nepomuk's data with all my devices so I think a software developed
> in 2013 supports 2013 software requirements.

I think you might have some misconceptions about Akonadi but you are welcome
to proof me wrong :)

A uniform and data type agnostic access layer sounds pretty state of the art
to me.

> For me it will be terrific when I tag, comment or rate a file in one of my
> devices and automatically this information will be available in all my
> devices and if Baloo works at user level this will be impossible.

I don't see why this would be impossible.
That's like saying "I'd like my email to be marked unread on all my computer
automatically but if Akonadi wokrs at the user level this will be impossible".
Which would be demonstratably wrong :)

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring