On 10/04/2014, at 8:40 AM, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 10. April 2014 schrieb :
>
> > So, I wonder what baloo would be doing on OSX to get its hands into the
> > user’s emails…
> >         I hope Vishesh can clarify this!
> >
> > Sure one doesn’t want to see any collisions between OSX’ Spotlight indexer
> > on one side and baloo on the other.
>
> i assume, ideally the api would just abstract spotlight on osx?
> would require someone developing an osx backend.

Oops, I see Bradley has just beaten me to the punch.  Never mind, here is some
additional info about Spotlight.

"Introduction to Spotlight" is here:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/MetadataIntro/MetadataIntro.html

A rough (and quick) idea of the architecture is here in "How Does Spotlight
Work?":
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/MetadataIntro/Concepts/HowDoesItWork.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001847-CJBEJBHH

The "Finder" referred to as a client in that article is Apple OS X's file
manager.  Its "Info"
function uses Spotlight to get the available metadata on any file and display a
panel.

A quick search on "Spotlight" in the Documentation section of the Xcode app
(Apple's
IDE application, similar in scope to KDevelop) showed plenty of references to
library
classes one could use to deliver metadata, etc.  Also programming examples.
These
classes and examples are in Objective C and are non-free, I assume, but they
are at
least public.  I do not know if Qt4-Mac has an interface to them, but probably
not.  However
Qt4-Mac does include lots of examples of how to bridge between C++ and
Objective C
libraries, because it uses native OS X classes for QMainWindow, widgets, etc.

ATM interfacing to Spotlight would have to be low on the list of KDE
priorities.  Marko
and I are currently engaged in setting up a list of known problems that affect
KDE
on the OS X platform, either generally or for specific apps.  Then we propose
to get
MacPorts and KDE experts together to find the root causes and fix them, either
in
the KDE codebase or the MacPorts base, wherever the trail leads.  Some of the
problems are showstoppers.

I do not use Spotlight much, but it is sometimes handy for digging up old
emails.

The thing I really like about Spotlight is its unobtrusive and user-friendly
interface.  It
is just a simple, small magnifying glass icon at the top right of the screen
(equivalent
to bottom right in Plasma, I seem to remember).  If you click on it, a
text-entry widget
appears and you enter your term.  Then a drop-down panel shows the results.  If
you hover over a result, you see a quick display of the message or whatever.
If you
click it, the result opens in the application where it belongs (e.g. Apple
Mail).

Very quick.

Cheers, Ian W.