Alberto Villa <avi...@freebsd.org> writes:

> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Raphael Kubo da Costast
> <rak...@freebsd.org> > I don't think so. makc's question is valid --
> we've been trying to get
>> rid of local modifications as much as possible, and it's not clear if
>> this one has been submitted upstream and what it is supposed to fix.
>
> The story behind this is: when KDE is installed in /usr/local, it
> conflicts with shared-mime-info. Since they both install the same MIME
> types, just depend on shared-mime-info. Unfortunately, KDE also
> defines .doc as plain/text. While i think this is valid, Dima doesn't.
> As a short term solution, I agreed he could just remove all the
> conflicting MIME types.

This is what I am uncomfortable with -- KDE installs kde.xml with
extensions or things which are being discussed on freedesktop.org
instances. If some of the definitions there do not seem valid, please
investigate the reasoning behind those changes and contact KDE _before_
committing patches locally; contacting upstream (ie. KDE) might result
in an upstream commit that benefits everyone instead of only FreeBSD
users or in an explanation of why those entries are there in the first
place.

That's why I'm still considering reverting the patch, as it looks like
upstream has not been contacted so far.

> As a long term solution, instead, I'll write an automated system to
> handle MIME types throughout the ports tree (just as I'm doing with
> fonts) which will avoid installing MIME types: it will just install
> XML packages and then let update-mime-database create the MIME types
> on its own.

This is a separate issue that's orthogonal to the patch being discussed;
I didn't fully understand your idea, but I trust that it's a good one
:-)