[leaving the disclaimers intact]  :-)

> > Standard Disclaimer: Speaking for myself, not necessarily
> my employer.
> Ditto :)

[...]

> I disagree with this point - by making it much more
> cumbersome to administer and removing it from the Windows
> Domain, the incentive to use anything other than MS as the
> KDC is eliminated.

Yes, of course, I'd be lying if I said we wouldn't prefer that people
use our product over anyone else's.  Businesses who promote their
competitors' products usually don't do well in the marketplace,
unfortunately.  :-S

As far as intent goes, we didn't design windows to be hard to use
outside of an MS domain.  Many/most of the features provided by Kerberos
are for obvious reasons not available using even NT4 or 3.X
environments, and making those domains harder to use was obviously not a
design goal in Win2k or XP.

To continue an example I already used, Group Policy is not available in
Domains prior to Win2k.  This certainly does not mean we would want to
break compatibility with NT4.

By this token, we are still compatible with NT4-- we just have new
features that don't work with it.

[...]

> > Those changes can be made without group policy-- it's just not as
> > easy.
>

> "Its just not as easy" is the key point here. Ease of use is
> a primary motivator in the marketplace.

I agree that it's *a* motivator, but I don't think it's always the
primary one.  Cost is another concern-- we recognize that not all
organizations can afford to buy domain controllers.  Sometimes, for
example, an organization can afford labor much more easily than they can
afford hardware.  This feature enables those organizations to take
advantage of Windows client services and maintain their existing
authentication scheme.  In many cases it's a good compromise, IMHO.

I should point out that there's nothing to stop other organizations from
implementing the features we use.  Someone else could implement an
authorization system that sits on top of Windows Kerberos and provides
authorization data so that the lack of a PAC is not important, for
example.  Group policy, for example, could be implemented by a third
party.

[...]

> You used Kerberos and extended into other parts of the OS,
> thus making them at least partially relevant here.  If one
> can only access certain Kerberized features of your system by
> using your own Kerberos implementation then you can't claim
> interoperability with everyone.

Defining interoperability in this way is very squishy-- you are asking
more than what we are currently claiming AFAIK.  This is a philosophical
matter about which I doubt we have any middle ground.  :-)

> I suppose there is a semantic argument here about whether we
> are talking about the Kerberos Protocol itself (RFC 1510) or
> the suite of Kerberos software in the public domain (MIT KRB5
> for example).  Yes, you are using the protocol correctly, no
> argument there.

This last sentence is all that I am asserting-- I'm glad to hear that
I'm not the only person who thinks so :-)

[...]

> But you arent allowing people to make this comparison on an
> apples-to-apples basis.  By removing domain features and
> making it much more cumbersome to administer your own
> systems, the scales are wieghted much more heavily in your
> own favor.  Its a smart business move on your part, but it
> generates ill-will because the whole thing is based on an
> open standard.

I don't think we'll ever agree on the ethics of this, but I'll try a
somewhat timely yet farfetched analogy:

Say, the airlines decide to standardize the size, shape, and maximum
weight of checked baggage.  This is so that the bags can be packed into
a tighter space and to ensure that their baggage handlers do not break
their backs.  The bags slide into a slot and if they don't fit, they
just don't go on the plane.

In response, I design a device that is exactly the size and shape of a
suitcase.  The device allows me to pack more stuff into the "suitcase"
and still fit aboard the plane through some form of interdimensional
magic.

Now, say I design another device that fits aboard an aircraft that
accepts standard suitcases and is able to take advantage of some
mystical, as-yet-unrevealed property of the interdimensional devices if
they are aboard it to make the airplane consume less fuel.

If I were to sell such a pair of devices, I would not be obligated to
release the design specifications to the world.  Some people might claim
that the devices are unsafe, but I'd let them view the specs if they
accepted nondisclosure to protect me.  Those people could study the
specs and determine for themselves.

Nobody would go around shouting that the special bags would not fit
aboard "standard" aircraft.  Similarly, nobody would cry falsely that
the newly-enhanced aircraft could no longer accept the standard bags.
If they were, there would be footage of me verifying that the bags and
plane work in all four combinations and the issue would die.

The scenario sounds preposterous, yet IMHO this is exactly what's
happening with Microsoft Kerberos.

> -Wyllys

Thanks!
-Dave