So far as I know, the interop issues between MS krb5 and most others
revolve around:

 - GSS-API / SPNEGO issues (minor - specs published)
 - GSS-API extension to HTTP 1.1 (minor - specs published)
 - GSS-TSIG DNS extension (needed for kerberized DNS which is needed for
   secure DNS updates in an MS environment - the BIND folk have yet to
   attempt to implement this, IIRC) (specs published)

 - the killer: you get no domain users/groups and certain other features
   in a win2k/winxp environment if your KDCs are not MS (specs NOT
   published unencumbered).

   MS seems to consider all Unix accounts to be the moral equivalent of
   Windows local accounts. But Unix accounts, though they are local in
   that the POSIX UID/GID namespace is not flat and therefore Unix
   accounts can't be like Windows domain accounts, are not usually truly
   local because most folk have NIS/NIS+/LDAP/etc.. domains which they
   use to distribute /etc/passwd|/etc/group information.

   This is really the crux of the problem.

   The MS approach here is to stuff user profile information into
   Kerberos tickets such that win2k/winxp services need not lookup said
   user profile information in the domain. When a win2k/winxp service is
   presented with an AP_REQ with a ticket that lacks said user profile
   info the service looks up the information in the _LOCAL_ SAM database
   only - if it searched the domain corresponding to the client's realm
   then this interop problem would vanish, but, you see, by default
   (IIRC) services do not have lookup priviledges in ActiveDirectory's
   LDAP, so why should they bother with domain lookups?  (still, they
   could try the lookups, you'd think).

Cheers,

Nico

--
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-