On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, David Lawler Christiansen (NT) wrote:

> It's true that you can't get the token information out of the ticket if
> the KDC cannot generate a PAC (presumeably because it is not an MS KDC).
>
> However, this doesn't render your server useless.  What it does do is
> deprive you of the benefits that a Windows Domain grants you, which go
> far beyond just Kerberos authentication.  The server itself is just as
> configurable and useful as it was before-- you just have to manage it
> differently.
>
> For example, Windows Domains have Group Policy, which enables you to
> make sweeping changes within your domain in a convenient manner.  Those
> changes can be made without group policy-- it's just not as easy.
>
> The unix equivalent is something like YP or Hesiod-- if you don't have
> them, then you must manage the local account space to match up
> principals with accounts.  Windows is the same way-- the Domain provides
> the authorization and other services.

except for the PAC, which is generated/stored in the W2K KDC.

in unix (well, modern NSS / PAM and some custom implementations), the
information service and the authorisation service are completely
independent of each other.  whether i use NIS, LDAP, or write my own
libc NSS module to refer all queries to a human in real time does not
affect whether i use kerberos or whatever for authorisation. and vice
versa.

with the MS solution they aren't: a tiny piece of the information
service is provided by the authorisation service. So in order to avail
of the Active Directory information service, i must also use the MS
authorisation service. If i dont, i cant use AD.

(and can i replace Active Directory with some other information
service, eg some LDAP server? probably not. but that's for another
list).

regards,

--paulj