I did not find any way of doing it either without resorting to gerber changes.
It seems that the house does not like small pads on inside layers, their
program checks for copper around the hole and flags it as an error.
They require larger pads on inside layers (>= 0.012 all around) and smaller (>=
0.005) on outside layers.
It does not matter that it is not connected to anything on inner layers.
The zones are OK and there is enough spacing between the pad and the zone.
Is there a way to specify different pad size for each layer?
Martin