I'm using kicad-2009-02-16-final-CENTOS_4.4.tgz
on a SUSE 11.1 system, that works fine.

Kicad should be installed under /usr/local/kicad

The projects would normally be in a directory under your own user
directory.I'm wondering if you have a simple permissions problem by
putting your projects under root.

 Have you done the chmod 755 to
the /usr/local/kicad/bin directory as per the install readme?

Libraries and modules live in the library and modules directories under:
 /usr/local/kicad/share/

You do not need the libraries in the project folder. When in use Kicad
will create a cache of the libraries and modules and store that in the
project directory, but this happens automatically.

In order to use additional libraries and modules you need to add them to
the system. I found it best to create a mylibs.lib and mymods.mods and
keep all my own stuff there, this avoids problems if you ever do an upgrade
and  accidentally overwrite the libs and mods.

Open up eeschema and select preferences>library
select add navigate to your own library then select open

That will add your library to the list so that you will be able to find
the parts you designed.
save the preferences

You do a similar process for the modules. but start from PCBnew,
preferences>library
then save the preferences.

In both cases this will save the preferences in your current project
directory, that means that other projects will not be able to access the
new libs and mods unless you go through the same process for them.

If you want your libs and mods to be availabe for all projects you need
to save the preferences as the default project file.

 /usr/local/kicad/share/template/kicad.pro

The unconnected pins issue. I've had that from time to time. I find that
it is important that the gird types match I think the system relies on
the grids so that things connect, I ran into this when I designed a part
and got things half a grid point off. Kican uses inches as the internal
measurement, so make sure the grid is set to inches and try then. Other
users might have a better idea about this.
Sometimes when I get a really stubborn connection problem a junction spot
cures it.

Auto refresh, I must admit I've got used to it now. The mouse wheel zooms
the display, and taht automatically does a refresh, so I just rotate the
wheel one click up and back again.

Hope this gives you a few clues.

Andy