Thanks:

I solved my library problems, but still can't connect the wires to the devices.
Making a big circular junction that covers the wire and pin doesn't make the
connection. I made the pins passive and it still is making a warning
"unconnected pin".
Another nice feature to put on the todo list is: "resize wires" - that is nice
if a person just needs to move a wire over to connect precisely with a pin.
In PCBNEW I'm getting "Track near pad" from the DRC, even with a clearance of
.001". I have to turn off the DRC to connect tracks. But then - I also have no
rat's nests connections because I can't get the pins to connect in eeschema.
But I think this is a completely workable program and I think I can use this to
do my own home etched PCBs.
Ted