This was discussed some time ago as I remember....

As a matter of interest, who run kicadlib.org s that would seem to be an
obvious starting place.

I don;t think an automated system will work 100% but it is the obvious
route for most operations.

You would probably end up with a two stage system. The "normal" system
where things are uploaded by contrib. when can be anyone, then a second
set which has been audited as ok and locked to prevent any changes to
the list. (obviously what a user does after download is up to them)

What you must not allow is parts to be uploaded under any name or
description, that causes chaos, so whatever system you use must allocate
the critical names and identifiers. I've seen the results of allowing
people to do that, and it's not nice - people would fill in equipment
records  with things like Cisco Hub, cisco switch, cis. switch and so on.
This made finding things very hard. That was soon changes to a drop down
list so that everyone picked the same name for a particular equipment
type.

The hardest part is just defining the minimum requirements that you
really need. A part is only one file, and a module is maybe two if you
include a 3d file as well. Including an image of the part or mod might be
something to think about but that's open to debate.

You also need to define a set of criteria that defines when a part is
deemed to be audited as OK. It will not be sufficient to say that x
people have use it, and say OK, as an example from the group over the
past few weeks, a member found a problem where the silk screen covered
the pads. Not an obvious thing to think of, but important for pcb
production house builds.

What you really want to avoid is getting bogged down in details that make
things overly complex.

Andy