I may have misunderstood the point :-)

I was responding to the comment that mike made but Yahoos threading
sometimes gets things muddled up.

Have you found the "recommended" way to organise modules?

Section 11.11 of the pcbnew manual.

Basically you create a A4 board, and just populate it with your modules
This provides you with something that you can print, and by using the
archive footprint That;s a very easy way to manage things at the level
you are talking about. If you hunt through the kicad file tree you will
find the .brd files from which the standard libs are generated from.

If you want to share such things, then the file store here is as good a
place as any for the time being, there are already an assortment of libs
there.

The 3D is a nice to have, and to be fair it does have it's uses. Like
yourself I've never tried creating a wings 3D component. I'm not sure
that my limited artistic talent would be up to it. Square(ish) blocks all
the same colour -maybe- but anything more complex than that, things go
downhill fast :-)

Andy