Hello Dick.

> What is a "part"?   This is not a term I find in the Kicad UI anywhere, > so
> it is a formality to ask this question.

Sounds in a queery way pretty german, because in german, electronic devices are
called "elektronische Bauteile". In a short and colloquial manner, they are
called simpel "Teile", and if you translate this literally to english, you will
get "parts". :-)

So i think, a part is a electronical device. In KiCAD represented by a symbol
and a footprint (module) and its Name. And, of course, also of its Type and
Value.

Very much PCB Layout Programms are using "Devices" called by a type name, as an
example 1N4007 or BC337. If you put them in, you have a certain device in your
mind, and the programm adds just symbol and footprint.
Of course, you can edit this name, anyway.

KiCAD is working a little bit reverse. You are thinking of a transistor as a
type like PNP or NPN or N-MOSFET, and place the symbol to the schematic. Later
you have to add a footprint to this transistor like TO-92 or TOP-3 or SOT23.
You put in a value for this transistor at any point, but actually you can
design the hole board witout it. Other programms will start with this step. :-)
Despite there exists often  workarounds doing the same.

So i am thinking, i am much more free in KiCAD with my way of thinking and
creating circuits with my gut instincts, working like an artist placing devices
on a schematic like colours to a canvas. :-)

But some people will find this inconvenient, because they have mostly a
concrete device at their mind. They are thinking of a P600M, and want to place
a P600M, and the programm has to put the right symbol and the right footprint
in.

I think, this cluster of type, value, symbol and footprint is called "part". At
EAGLE, it is called a package.

Perhaps this work could done in KiCAD by a database in CVpcb, which can be
used, but also you can coose your own way. Similar to the field "preferred
footprint" at the schematic editor (i have not used it yet, so i am not really
sure, wether i am right). But with a preferred footprint only, it will be
inconvenient if you using a lot of different footprints.

> For footprints, there is an actual plan in place to support plugin code.

Now i am asking: what is "plugin code"? Calling footprints by name of the
device? This may be a good way, of course, but keep in mind, that perhaps there
are more than two or three different footprints for one name. Not only
differend cases, but think only of different ways of mounting a TO220 device,
like "horizontally" or "vertically" or even "reverse" from the backside of the
board.

> I don't find symbol development to be as difficult or critical as
> footprint development, so I am starting there, at footprints.

Yes, of course. The number of needed symbols is much smaller than the number of
used footprints. And, much more, they are usually very simple. But for me, this
is my way to start with the symbols like i start creating a board with a
schematic.

With best regards: Bernd Wiebus alias dl1eic