The situation is even worse if you consider your older projects.
anything that changes automatically via an on line system could be a total
disaster to a project.

While I am fairly open to an online resource where I can browse and find
parts and modules and place them in my own libraries, it is total folly
to have an such a system update anything you are using or HAVE used. It
would be all to easy to end up with a board that at one time went to
production without any problems to one that failed. It could be something
so simple such as you changing some pad settings on a module to comply
with your PCB house, and later because an update has happened, those
settings have been wiped.

It could be argued that if you change such settings then you should
perhaps make a copy of the mod under a different name, but I don't think
too many people would do that.

The only way that anything should be updated is at the request of the
user. It is far too dangerous to have a popup saying do you want xyz
updated.

Andy