Hello patrick

> > what do you think about the idea of accessing the repo within kicad?
> I believe that it would be limiting. I explain: as it is an open
> project, every time the repo access is improved, kicad will need to be
> changed, which is not good.
> This can be avoided it it is done by a plugin :)

I think you are right.

1. Because nobody wants to relay to a working internet connection during
layouting a board. Some people actually doesn't have internet and are carying
files around with usb-sticks.

2. Perhaps a footprint could be changed while you are working with it.....

So it would be sane to storage all used footprints separate and not touch them
without warning.

But a plugin for importing, exporting and managing symbols, footprints and
perhaps databases connectioning them would be convenient and a great thing. :-)

With best regards: Bernd Wibus alias dl1eic

--
NEU: Mit GMX DSL über 1000,- ¿ sparen!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02