From: Greg Dyess
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2010 4:35 PM
To: kicad-users@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [kicad-users] Completely depressing !

I too learned that lesson.  Fortunately, it was not as far into the design as
you were.  From then on, I hand-verified almost all of the modules from the
libraries before I used them.  I would then only use my own libraries with the
verified components.  When I ran across a foottprint I did not have, I would
usually, but not always, start from the SourceForge library and create the new
one.
I also put my module libraries into a source code management system so I can
track my mods and compare easily against the originals.

Just a few ideas that have saved me time.

Greg