[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Somehow my kids or someone caused our Thinkpad laptop to now ask for a
> password
> on a weird black screen everytime we reboot it.
>
> Without this password we can't get into the BIOS or do anything.
>
> The guy at the shop said there is nothing we can do about it.  I'm wondering
> if
> lettting the battery run out will erase it.
>
> Anyone ever seen this?

You have to remove the main battery AND the clock battery (which also
preserves BIOS settings) to force a BIOS reset. You may be lucky and
have a tiny embedded switch somewhere to do the reset, depends on the
model of laptop. Getting to the clock battery usually requires
disassembling the laptop.

Gus

--
KPLUG-List@kernel-panic.org