SJS wrote:
> begin  quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED] as of Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 11:08:16AM -0700:
>> Somehow my kids or someone caused our Thinkpad laptop to now ask for a
>> password on a weird black screen everytime we reboot it.
>
> You'll be getting a ransom note within the week.
>
>> Without this password we can't get into the BIOS or do anything.
>
> Yup.
>
>> The guy at the shop said there is nothing we can do about it.  I'm
>> wondering if lettting the battery run out will erase it.
>>
>> Anyone ever seen this?
>
> Yup.
>
> If it's done right, you're toast.
>
> Or spend your evenings guessing passwords.

I thought that the most common "ransom plan" was to encrypt the
filesystem (or something like that), and leave a message that can't be
missed?

Is there another attack that sets a bios password?

Hmmm, if there's anything valuable on the laptop that hadn't been backed
up,it might be prudent to remove the disk and make a bitcopy for safety.

Or, maybe it _was_ simply that kids or someone inadvertently set the
bios password?

Regards,
..jim

--