On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 01:57:32PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 12:21:29PM -0700, James G. Sack (jim) wrote:
Or, maybe it _was_ simply that kids or someone inadvertently set the
bios password?

Are we sure it is a *BIOS* password?  Is there another kind of password that
can be embedded into the hardware or ROM?  The login screen didn't even say
"Enter BIOS Password".  It didn't say *anything* except for a picture of what
looks like a battery.

That sounds like the "settings" password on the Thinkpad, which is
generally known as the BIOS password.  It's rather cryptic and iconic,
I suspect because it is implemented early in the bios code before a
lot is initialized.

Be glad they didn't set the HD password.  That one is a lot harder to
get around (unless the particular drive has a known flaw).

David

--
KPLUG-List@kernel-panic.org