The plans built KR-2 is a notoriously aft CG airplane, which is why those of us
flying KRs have been beating the drum about CG for the last 15 years or so
since the inception of the KRNet.  The other thing is that no 2 KRs are built
the same.  There are a host of wings, tail feathers, engines, control
configurations and CGs that are used, so no two are going to fly exactly the
same.

So, I could spout on here about how I've spun my KR and the recovery is
nominal, but that is absolutely meaningless drivel unless your plane is built
with the same wing, same tail feathers and same CG as mine.  To the best of my
knowledge, there aren't any other KRs in the same configuration as mine, so my
test data is of little use to any other KR pilot.  In each case, we are test
pilots.  That sounds cool to some people, but the fact is that test piloting
brings an element of risk with it, and should not be taken lightly.

The NTSB did not speculate on why the aircraft would not recover from the spin.
 In my opinion, the original plans built KR lacked sufficient horizontal and
vertical stabilizers, rudder and elevator.  But would still recover if the CG
was within reasonable range (which does not include all of the published CG
range).  But if the CG is aft, recovery is unlikely.

Even though the NTSB cites the engine failure as partial cause, I doubt the
engine not running impeded recovery as I never add power until the aircraft is
already recovering.  Going to full power in a spin is a great way to convert a
normal spin into a flat spin which makes life even more interesting.  The video
recorder gives a host of information.  The one thing that really stands out to
me is that the aircraft was stable at roughly 20? nose down and continued in
that attitude until impact.  That just screams out AFT CG causing the spin to
go flat.  In a flat spin, there is less air moving over the controls, so you
have even less control than a normal spin.  The aircraft stayed stable at 20?
nose down regardless of control input says not enough air moving over the
controls to even affect the attitude and/or not enough controls to catch
sufficient air to affect the attitude.  Add it all up.  Small tail.  Aft in the
CG range.  Either can kill you.  It seems quite likely he was fighting both.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM