Mark L and I were having a short conversation off line about the "Aftermath
KR-2", controls and spins.  I started a write up about incipient spins vs fully
developed spins.  Then I realized that many pilots may not know the difference.
 When one talks about having done spin testing in an aircraft, knowing whether
the pilot has done incipient spin entry and recovery vs fully developed spins
and recover is important.  So I thought I would share my thoughts with the
group.  You will have to decide for yourselves whether it is wisdom or just
windy.

----------------

Here's why the 20? nose down piqued my interest so much in the accident video.

NASA Spin Mode Classification Spin mode         Angle-of-attack range, degrees
Flat                                            65 to 90
Moderately flat                                 45 to 65
Moderately steep                                30 to 45
Steep                                           20 to 30

Assuming little forward motion, 20? nose down from the horizon translates into
roughly 70? angle of attack.  According to the Spin Mode Classification, that
makes it a flat spin.  Even if the AOA was less than 65? due to some forward
motion, it was surely greater than 45?, which still makes it moderately flat.
Without an engine running to force a flat spin, that says Aft CG, but could
also be saying lack of stabilizer and/or controls or a combination of aft CG
and small stabilizers.

There wasn't any indication in the accident report as to how long the pilot
allowed the spin to develop before attempting recovery.  3 turns is typical to
fully develop a spin.  I have done as many as 15 turns when I had an aerobatic
Biplane.  My biplane typically held roughly 60 - 70? nose down in a spin, which
would translate to 20 - 30? AOA.  According to the Spin Mode Classification,
that is a steep spin.  It always recovered within 1/4 turn no matter how long I
allowed the spin to develop.   Most aerobatic aircraft have large stabilizers
and controls, which makes recovery from an incipient spin and a fully developed
spin the same.  Most homebuilt, fast, slick aircraft lack the stabilizers and
control authority to recover like an aerobatic aircraft. That is by design as
large controls like an aerobatic plane has will get very heavy at speed unless
you install helpers like spades on the ailerons and anti-servo tabs on the
elevator.  That starts adding unnecessary weight and complexity.

Spins were one of the knocks on the Piper Tomahawk.  They recovered quite
easily from an incipient spin, but when a spin is allowed to fully develop, the
pilot had to make the correct motions (full opposite rudder and full forward
elevator), then be patient while the plane slowly recovered over the course of
2 - 3 additional rotations.  That's enough to scare the socks off most pilots,
including the test pilot that did the spin testing for Piper.  Most pilots that
allowed a spin to fully develop in that plane would never do so again, and that
became the legend of many tales about the terrors of the Traumahawk.  I've done
a number of incipient spins in the Tomahawks, but never allowed a spin to
continue to develop as I saw no reason to go share the same experience as the
Piper test pilots.

Most pilots have never done a fully developed spin.  I would dare to say that
most don't know the difference between an incipient spin and a fully developed
spin.  The recovery techniques are the same, but depending on the plane the
recovery from a fully developed spin may be much slower and it may seem like
the plane is not going to recover.  And if the CG is a bit too far aft, it very
well may not recover. (that's one of the reasons for CG range differences
between standard, utility, and aerobatic categories on some planes)  When the
spin recovery is delayed, many pilots will start to panic and will attempt
other strategies like deploying flaps, rolling the the ailerons back and forth,
and powering up and down during the spin.  Such techniques usually delay the
spin recovery and may cause the spin to further develop or possibly go flat.

I have not spun my KR more than 1 turn.  To me, one turn spins and recovery
proved it would recover from an incipient spin.  I simply do not care about
recovery from a fully developed spin as there is no reason why I would ever
allow a spin to fully develop while flying this aircraft.  I saw no reason to
take the additional risk of spin testing for something I will never do.

Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM