I'm about ready to give up on this.  Steve's 2180's come with 40mm
intakes and 35.5 mm exhaust.  These are larger than the valves in a
standard Type 1 head so I consider them large valves.

At 500 hours the valves were fine.  Everything was fine except the
re-used Chinese valve springs that Rimco used when they rebuilt the head
for Steve.  I had two broken ones, one I hadn't noticed since it broke
next to the retainer and was hard to see and the other one which put me
down in Venice, Florida for a couple days.  When I got home I put new
valve springs in and newly cut seats with some Manley valves but I could
have continued to use the old valves.  I don't understand how people have
problems with these engines or these valves.

I've heard of 42mm intakes and 37mm exhaust valves - is that what people
are thinking of when they use the term "large valves" on a Type 1?  Those
may work fine as well . . . dunno.  I think some people might do better
with boats or tractor pulls than aircraft engines.

Mike
KSEE

Want to place your ad here?
Advertise on United Online