>anyone have experience with installing cabin heaters using a shroud
>around the exhaust pipes?
>
>Trevor Norman
>
>_+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My carb heat is nearly identical to Mark's and is pretty much an
industry standard.  Some designs close the shroud and run ram air to
the shroud which is dumped when not used for carb  heat.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32133949/IMG_8087.jpg

My cabin heat is similar but I do not recommend my exact setup.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32133949/IMG_8090.jpg

It should have a sealed shroud and have fresh ram air to the
shroud.  My setup introduces the possibility of carbon monoxide
entering the cabin if an exhaust leak should occur.  I'm comfortable
with the setup for now for two reasons.  I use cabin heat very, very
little and then only for short durations at very cold
temperatures.  Second, my exhaust is all new stainless steel with new
gaskets and I have a carbon monoxide detector patch on the
panel.  But, like I said, I don't recommend this as the right way to
do it. I use a small fan on the back side of the firewall to blow in
hot air when I open the cabin heat door on the firewall.  I may break
down this winter and close the shroud and add fresh ram air.  I flew
for 6 or 7 years in temps down to 15 to 20 degrees F with no cabin
heat at all.  KR fliers are a tough crowd but do it right to
eliminate all possible concerns.

Larry Flesner