Not sure of this, Mark probably knows, but a list like this is basically an
email address that receives mail and reflects it back out to a subscriber
list. This is what allows the contents to be archived and searchable. The
key here is how to manage search-ability. I agree, sometimes searching is a
real pain because you might search for a key phrase and get 50+ matches but
when it comes down to it, there were only 8 unique replies, the rest were
quoted text.

A solution on the back end might be to use a search engine that is capable
of ignoring quoted text but telling a search engine how to identify quoted
text might prove difficult as not all email clients treat (set a marker)
quoted text the same way and end users can use their own methods that will
throw off the search. If that could be done then searching would again be a
worthwhile endeavor. Writing a search engine this flexible/intelligent
would be a cool project, I'm sure there are some out there, but I've had my
fill of recreating the wheel. I have no idea how flexible the search engine
currently in use is, but the question could be asked.

Another solution on the back end would be to filter all the email as it
comes in and strip all incoming traffic by certain definable rules. Again
this would involve a marker of some sort to identify quoted text.  This
would be the better of the two as the messages going into the database
would be smaller to begin with. This in turn would make searches faster
too.

So you either strip it as it comes in, or you ignore it during a search, or
you just abide by the current rules and whack the quoted text out when you
write it. The burden of keeping the database productive has to fall
somewhere.

My $0.02

Phill Hill
Collinsville, IL