Sid Wood wrote:

 >  Dick specifically shows how to avoid pinching the tube on the
 > split rims.  No need for slime.

I'm quite aware of how to assemble a tube into a tire with loads of talc
to avoid a pinched tube.  I haven't pinched a tube yet, and I've
replaced 16 tires on the KRs so far, usually reusing the tubes.

As I said in my post, I learned the secret to avoiding pinched tubes
(after initial installation) is to keep them aired up to above 25 psi
(or avoid really hard landings).  I added Slime to that tube because it
had a slow leak and over a month it would drop down from 50 to 25 psi,
and become susceptible to pinched tubes again, and the Slime put an end
to it without me having to take the tire off and replace the tube.  With
this ancient brake setup, removing the wheel is a huge pain the the butt
and would take at least an hour, not to mention jacking up the plane,
which I don't like to do either.

I started putting Slime in my mountain bike tires about ten years ago,
after picking up a thorn or two every year and having to patch a tube on
the road or walk home to get the truck.  I put Slime in those tubes ten
years ago, and haven't had a flat tire since...nor do I need to top off
the tires nearly as often.

My apologies though...I should have kept that to myself, rather than
concern the list with it.

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com