Fraser,
You said:
Hi - I am new to this net, so bear with me please!  I am looking for a
suitable plane to build, and the KR2 of KR2S seems to fit the bill for me
so far.  Do the current plans available have these later refinements and
improvements that you mentioned,?  If not, is there a source of these, or
is it simply that these refinements etc are what individuals have done to
their planes while building them?
To answer your question, please do not think that I am the authority here, as
there are some long time builders that have way more knowledge of this aircraft
than I. I guess I just tend to be alittle more vocal! HaHa.
The KR2 is a wonderful airplane, but a new builder should not consider the
older KR2 without including the "S" supplement. If you will "cruise" over to
the KRnet construction site and search through the archives, you will find a
HUGE amount of information on modifications and improvements that builders have
made to this little plane.  Also, lots of builders' sites have great ideas and
improvements that they have made to overcome different building challenges that
they have experienced.  The KR2S plans are reported to be the clearest and
easiest to use, as well as the supplement including the refinements of
re-enforced firewall for larger powerplants, and longer fuselage.  Mark
Langford's site talks about several good refinements and hiper links you to
other sources of additional studies and mods.  The original KR2 had a neat idea
for retracts, but over the years, virtually every builder with them has done
away with them in favor of a less drag inducing well faired fixed gear, or some
other version of retract (Loehle Replicas has a good system that swing inboard,
but requires alot of work to fit onto a KR2).  Also you cannot forget to put
the gear down on fixed gear!  I had a student recently, over 300 hour pilot
take me down an instrument approach in a twin engine aircraft and forget the
landing gear, all the way down to 400 AGL when I took over and lowered the
gear. If he had been solo that would have been an expensive mistake.
What I recommend is for you to take several afternoons and read through the
different builder websites and finished aircraft, and learn all you can from
the ones out there building, or flying.  They know what is working for them,
and will save you literally hundreds of hours trying to solve problems. Then
when you have questions, and you can't find the answer in the archives, ask it
here.  Go to the Gathering this year and look at the KR2, and KR2S up close and
compare.  I am told the materials cost is virtually the same, and you will be
much happier with the plane when it is complete.  Any other builders' thoughts
please don't hesitate to chime in here.... :)

Colin Rainey KR2(td)
crain...@cfl.rr.com
Sanford, Florida
FLY SAFE!!!!