>Is it practical or even sensible (during taxi trails) to accelerate
>until you can get the tail up and run like that for a few seconds?
>>Do we need a tail wheel lock on a KR?
>Steve J
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

The weather was cool when I started my taxi test and my cowl
setup gives me great engine cooling, maybe because of the
prop extention, so I could do ground runs for up to 20 minutes
without an engine temp problem.

I started with slow taxi and continued to work the speed up until
I was getting the tail up and running for 200 to 400 feet before
letting it settle again.  You have to be just right on the power at
that point or you're going to fly.  I probably made 30+ high speed
runs before my first flight although my total taxi test was maybe
two or three hours on the runway.  CAUTION: Don't even think about
taking the airplane to the runway unless it is TOTALLY ready to fly.
It can easily get airborne during high speed taxi testing.  When it
comes time for the first flight you should be comfortable on the
takeoff run all the way through tail up.  At that point you just
hold full power and in the matter of a few seconds you're airborne!

Tailwheel lock?  Don't even consider it.  When the wheel is on the
ground you want the steering control and when it comes off the
ground it makes no difference.  I do like my steerable, full swivel,
tailwheel for ground handling.  I'm using the "Maule" tailwheel spring
kit that is a spring within a spring (compression, I think) and it
seems to work o.k.

Larry Flesner