Larry

It is not only a question of entering a groundloop. Most high time
taildragger pilots will have experienced these at some time when no amount
of opposite rudder can produce a correction. It is the nature of tail
dragger design. Lift the tail too early on full power in the KR with 110hp
Corvair engine and you will enevitably join these ranks. Throttle back too
quickly and you'll go the other way. I know this from bitter experience.

Of equal relevance is the KR pitch sensitivity. Trying to control nose
attitude at low speed close to the ground when you've just lifted off
unintentionally due to ground effect in a high speed taxi is no mean task in
the KR especially if you're set on getting straight down again. Whilst I
agree that practice in this part of the envelope is essential, my point is
simply that in reality you want to transition it as quickly as possible. It
is a dangerous area to be in. Again from my humble experience.

Others may disagree but it is the people who have actually flown KRs that
you should ask.. I would be willing to bet that most honest pilots have been
bitten at some stage.

John

The Martindale Family
29 Jane Circuit