Some of you may remember the story of my South African registered KR2, which
transited through Tunisia (where I now live, and where aircraft are
apparentlyt not  welcome!), before ending up in Orleans, France.
Well, last month, I did a trip to France in order to unpack the aircraft,
prepare it for future inspection, and start the negotiation with the local
airworthiness authorities.
First job was to unpack the aircraft. Second job was to become a member of
the local homebuilder's club, and to move the aircraft from my friend's
pivate hangar to the club's hangar. Third job was to look for damages, and
fix them.
I was much concerned about the aircraft condition, since she went through
two moves by container, and six months storage in a bad hangar at the Tunis
harbor.
Well, I found the damage to be fairly limited. Apart from the deeply
encrusted pigeon sh**, that is. The tires were flat. I found a few corroded
nuts and bolts, rusted disk brakes, rusted propeller hub. I inspected the
inside of the engine cylinders, using a bore-scope that I had bought from
Aircraft Spruce and had delivered directly to France. (I recommend that
stuff. It's called Pro-Vision; it is a cheap fiber-optics bore-scope, that
goes for about $250, depending on length and accessories, and works like a
dream). Although I am no expert on engines, I found what I thought was only
minor cylinder walls corrosion (even, and not too deep. I then sprayed
liberally some WD-40 oil in the cylinders, turned the prop by hand many,
many times over two days, then started the engine again. Works fine, sounds
good.
I also fitted the new throttle (this you may also remember), only to find
that the cable does not fit anymore, and would have to be redone.
Part of the plan was to drill inspection holes in the spars (another story
you perhaps remember). Alas, my specially built long drill bits were lost by
the airline, so, maybe next time...
The French airworthiness inspectors were very helpful. We agreed on an
inspection plan together, and I think there is good chance that I will be
able to register that machine in France one day.
Before I left, I preserved the engine again, spraying some more WD-40 in the
cylinders, plugging all the holes, and fitting preservation  spark plugs.
These are home-made: I just fitted a tube to some spark plugs that I had
emptied, then filled the tube with the best dessicant I could find (rice!),
then plugged the tube. Then, somebody came along, asked a question about the
ignition, so to show how the ignition works,  I turned the prop... and the
compression popped a tube open, and even popped the exhaust plugs!
Compressions are still OK, then!
Another job was to remove the South African registration marks. These being
painted on, that proved to be a mission. But the local club is well
equipped, so I could borrow an orbital sander, and it worked fine. But it is
now obvious that I will have to repaint the bird.
>From now on, until it gets a new registration, I will refer to my KR2 as
"Kilimanjaro Cloud", the name my wife chose for her. French registrations
for homebuilts are F-P***, and you can choose the last three letters. I hope
F-PLAY has not been taken yet!
Anyway, to those interested, I have plenty pictures of the aircraft, the
most interesting ones being of the engine, the interior, and the instrument
panel.

Serge Vidal
KR2 ZS-WEC
- Taildragger, VW powered (2.4 liter, dual electronic ignition)
- Total aircraft time: 390h
- Aircraft hangared at: Orleans, France
- Pilot moaning in: Tunis, Tunisia
E-mail: serge.vi...@ate-international.com