My main reason for stating that you should not drill through the glue
joint was because it is very hard to keep a drill bit going straight

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Good point - could ruin an expensive spar if the drill bit goes walkies.

If I build another one, it'll be just like you built yours.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks - that gives me more confidence.  Still bothers me that Don Reid
did not like the idea - I was expecting a boffin (like him) to step up
and declare this to be as good as (or better).

My instinct is to stagger the WAF bolt holes so as to void having them
on the same line - anyone have any thoughts on that.  Holes in a row
offer images of the perforations in toilet paper.

What size bolt holes are required for mounting the Diehl type u/c?  (I
have old KR plans with retracts).

I presume that the Grove rendition has bolts all the way through the
spar from the bottom up?

Thanks for the input

Steve J
Zambia