For those of you following my progress since my forced landing upon leaving the
2006 KR Gathering, the following is how things have progressed. After getting
the plane home on a trailer, I proceeded to rebuild my carburetor by doing a
through cleaning and installing a new gasket and diaphragm. I had virtually
convinced myself that this was the culprit of my sudden engine loss at 6500'
and 75 miles out of Mount Vernon (MVN). This past Saturday I was finally ready
to start the engine and do some run up testing. She started on the first turn
of the prop and ran smooth at idle. I let her stay there till she warmed up
good. I watched the idle fuel/air mixture and I was getting a green light
indication with occasional drop into the lean (yellow bar) zone. I thought this
a little odd. Once she warmed up, I slowly increased power and immediately
noticed the engine was running rough and the roughness was really pronounced at
and above 2000 rpm. That is when I decided to do a compression check. This link
to my web page will show you all what I found. http://flykr2s.com/photo.html
All comments and questions are welcome.

Mark Jones (N886MJ)
Wales, WI