Phillip Matheson wrote:

> Am I only dreaming, or does someone know of a single distributor, twin
> point, separate ignition that will fit a type 4 VW?? for the 8 spark set
up.
> Instead of using a Mag.

Fortunately, a Type 1 distributor will probably also fit a Type 4.  Mallory
used to make a dual-point distributor for the VW, and probably still does,
as well as others.  The dual points can be separated by merely adding an
extra insulated pole (screw insulated all around with phenolic or whatever)
for the second set of points.  Then the two poles are connected to two
separate coils, which are connected to an MSD coil switcher (I've finally
memorized that the part number is 8210).  The coil switcher is just two huge
diodes that let either coil (or both) supply energy to the distributor cap's
center tower.  Since some (maybe MSD) don't recommend running them both at
the time, the Corvair folks (or at least the one's that abide by William
Wynne's conversion manual) hook them up to a double throw switch that
supplies 12V to either one coil or the other.  That gives you a redundant
ignition system with the exception of the MSD switcher, plug wires, spark
plugs and the coil wire.  It's hard to imagine a properly secured plug wire
from just quitting, spark plugs are pretty reliable these days, and the
switcher would presumably croak one diode at a time.  That's the way I have
mine, but I have a double pole double throw (DPDT)switch that is also
connected to two separate fuel pumps and two separate batteries, yielding
both a redundant ignition system, and a backup fuel system.

Wait a minute now...I just reread your message.  Do you mean you have 8
spark plugs?  If so,  you got me!  You'd have to find a  V-8 distributor and
move some stuff  around inside (and maybe make it a dual-point)if you wanted
a distributor cap with 8 plug wires running out of it.  Somebody's probably
done it.  I'd be tempted to plug those extra four holes and go with four
sets of plug wires and four spark plugs, fed with the previously described
MSD coil switcher option.  And some KR guys opt for electronic ignition on
one set of plugs, and mag or distrubutor on the other.  Lots of
options....what else did you have in mind?

Ma Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
see KR2S project at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford