From: "Glynnis Young" <gyoungtra...@yahoo.co.uk>
To: "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 3:46 PM
Subject: RE: KR> spars

> It is not so much the strength of the WAF's that concerns me, it is
> drilling all those holes in the spar (cap).  Even the landing gear
> mounts require holes drilled in the upper and lower spar cap .......
>
> my intention is to add a wider pillar between the caps where the
> undercarriage mounts, add a 2mm 4130 "back-plate" behind the spar -
> then drill the mounting holes through the pillar - not the spar caps.
This
> way the legs are sort of clamped to the spar without any holes in the
> load bearing caps - maybe even one size up on the ply web between the
> legs (and the necessary precautions against stress risers).
>
> ===========
>
> Without any other deviation from the plans - this makes sense to me.  One
of the builders suggested that changes to spar were silly or even
dangereous, I wonder if this change would be viewed in that way.

> Staples:
>
> I note that all builders remove the staples after the adhesive has cured,
so they are really just there for a snug fit while the adhesive sets.  If a
satisfactory alternate method of clamping the parts together is avaiable,
can I assume that the staples are not essential?

> Reason for asking - I plan to pre-bent the boat side-frame when the ply is
bonded to the ladder so that there is less stress when the sides are
assembled.  This means clamping everything during the cure, so I will not
have access to the ourside if I want to see glue join (on the inside) to
make sure the clamping pressure is right all over.